Friday, January 30, 2009

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Saw this on the AppetiteForChina site that is run by Diana Kuan, a Chinese lady with diverse exotic backgrounds in love with Chinese food from all corners of the world and its applications.

But isn't that just the coolest apple? fa cai guo, or prosperity fruit as it's called in China where they can be bought. If anyone of you go there anytime soon, please buy me some!!

I don't know about you, but this Chinese New Year, I have not had my fill of eating. Maybe is because I was busier than usual with running the showroom plus helping Kristian with the CNY cookie orders. Besides the New Year's Eve steamboat dinner I had with my family which always ends with way too much leftovers, there has been a lack of serious gluttony this year. Is healthier, I know, not to over indulge during this time of year. BUT I am quite determined to tuck into more New Year foods before chap goh me! There's still time for nien gao, homemade pineapple tarts and love letters from Penang, and maybe even mum's siam laksa : )


I thought this list should be of interest to you. Here's a rundown of what one should eat to bring more prosperity,longevity and overall well being in the new year:


a)fatt choy - in translation, means to prosper.


b)dried oysters - or hoe see meaning good tidings.


c)lotus root - my all-time favourite vegetable especially cooked in soup. It symbolises longevity.


d)water chestnuts - sweet and crunchy, these can be stir fried with snap peas and scallops in the hopes of bringing a sweet year ahead.


e)whole chicken - braised, roasted, cooked in soups, a whole chicken symbolises completeness.


f)whole fish - same as above, a whole fish served steamed, fried or in sauce symbolises togetherness and abundance.


g)nien gao - or new year cake, is a must-have for Chinese New Year. It signifies a prosperous year ahead,


h)prawns - ha in Cantonese, sounds like laughter hence it is a welcomed food element.


I am sure there's more that can be added to the list. The Chinese will be at their most creative and imaginative when it comes to food hehehehe. Would love to hear more so do add your comments.







No comments:

Post a Comment